Decorate sugar cookies with icing and, before it has set, sprinkle on shredded coconut to create fuzzy tails.
(2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
finely grated Meyer lemon zest
pure vanilla extract
Bunny-shaped cookie cutters
Royal icing and shredded coconut, for decorating
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In large bowl, using electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, and lemon zest on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium and beat in egg, then vanilla.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated. Shape dough into 4 disks and roll each between 2 sheets of waxed paper to 1/8 inch thick. Chill until firm, 30 minutes in refrigerator or 15 minutes in freezer.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Using floured cookie cutters, cut out cookies. Place on prepared sheets. Reroll, chill, and cut scraps.
- Bake, rotating positions of pans halfway through, until cookies are light golden brown around edges, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on sheets 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
- Pipe small dollop of icing near base of each cookie for tail and sprinkle with coconut.
Did you make this recipe? Comment below!